Looking for s197 aftermarket audio gear for the 2005 Mustang GT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for s197 aftermarket audio gear for the 2005 Mustang GT

Post by Boss281 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 am

I'm pulling the 2005 off drag duty and putting it back on the street.  This car really needs to be driven more and I pretty much got the most out of it on the dragstrip.  Time to have some fun on the street again.  Race suspension is swapped out (will be selling parts soon) and corner carving BMR suspension and Tokico shocks/struts are in.

I appear to have a dead head unit, and I am diagnosing whether it's really the unit or some other electrical issue.  The early units were problematic but I rarely listened to it as I got this thing track ready early on.  Regardless, from the factory, my car had the Shaker 1000 which includes:

The Shaker 1000 head unit
2 door speakers
2 door subwoofers
2 rear deck speakers
trunk mounted amps and subwoofer

I sold the trunk mounted amp and subwoofer to save weight long ago, and have no desire to replace them with some megabass trunk unit.  I'm looking to replace the head unit, 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers in the door.  All I need is a good FM radio, single CD player, and aux for my mp3 player.  If priced reasonably, I could go with a NAV system but it's not really necessary.

If anyone with an S197 that can speak to experience with an aftermarket kit with good audio quality and fit and finish, I'd be much obliged.  I'm looking for modestly priced set of replacements to listen to classic rock, blues and jazz.

That said, are there any good car audio installers in existence any more?  There is Westminster Speed and Sound, and I'm researching the reviews now.  Any others?  Thanks folks!

I'm also going to get a bit of tint, but there are a million places that can do this...

Torch Red 2005 Mustang GT 5-speed
All motor, stock shortblock and heads, aftermarket cams and intake manifold, full exhaust, 361hp/324trq, 11.89 at 115.  Weekend Warrior.
Tuxedo Black 2014 Focus ST 6-speed
My daily commuter...
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for s197 aftermarket audio gear for the 2005 Mustang GT

Post by 05RedDevil on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:50 am

Finding a "kit" is nearly impossible as there are so many options out there.

Speakers:
You will need 6x8 as the size for door speakers.  I've bought 6x8 Alpine Type R's which are decent but my favorite purchase was 6x8 Infiniti Kappa's.
A two-way speaker is cool. You don't have to worry about a 3-way.

Head Unit:
My favorite is Pioneer but there, again, are so many options.
To help with lingo in case you are not familiar, single din is the size of older radios and these can fit but will need to but a $15 mount for e Mustang.  A double din will fit in place of the factory Mustang head unit.

Amp:
I have always used Kicker's IX series and they work fantastic.  I've had a momo channel to power subs and a 4 channel to power 4 speakers. Been happy with both.

Install is easy so I wouldn't worry about it like tuning the ECU. Pretty much any shop will do or try it yourself with a friend.

I've built a system from all new parts and one from all used parts off different forums. I've had good results both ways
05RedDevil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2008-03-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 am

What Mike said is pretty much dead on.
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by svtwin73 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Try www.Crutchfield.com
svtwin73
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boss281 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Mike, thanks for the explanation.

I've been on crutchfield and the sonix site.  Lots of stuff to muddle through, but it's tough finding something simple for my needs.  I'll keep looking!

Torch Red 2005 Mustang GT 5-speed
All motor, stock shortblock and heads, aftermarket cams and intake manifold, full exhaust, 361hp/324trq, 11.89 at 115.  Weekend Warrior.
Tuxedo Black 2014 Focus ST 6-speed
My daily commuter...
Boss281
Geek Stangs
Geek Stangs

Number of posts : 1719
Registration date : 2007-12-06

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Blue on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Ya and you can get the dashboard install kit, they have them at Cruchfield and even at Best Buy, don't let Best Buy install it, they don't know there you know what from a hole in the ground, if you get the stuff Paul and I will put it in for you, Paul doesn't know much about wiring, but we work well together, and I got the wiring, the first thing I do when I get a new car is loos the stock unit and put in what I like, and I like doing that kind of work, thats like the first thing I did to Blue.

But I would go with a double din touch screen, I'm going to replace this one wit one eventually.

BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE
Check out the Blue Mustang Registry here
Eddie
Big Blue
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4366
Registration date : 2007-09-19

View user profile http://www.mdpatriotstangs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content