Anyone know about bathroom remodeling?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone know about bathroom remodeling?

Post by Big-B on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm

One of the the tile walls in one of our bathrooms is rotting due to not being sealed correctly around the shower controls. The tile was installed right over the drywall instead of the green board or w/e it is that should have been used. (House was built in 1974) Is it possible to install a shower surround
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-Tubs-....51#.UJrMwoa5Xk8
over top of the existing tile? I'm looking for the easiest and fastest solution to the repair with as little down time as possible. I am in no means a home improvement handy man and this would be new water for me.

92 LX NOTCH = SOLD
2008 M109R   SLAMMED! IS IT SPRING YET?

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
ROTM 07/08--ROTY 2008

1FUN5.0 wrote: hahaha...if you're not first you're last!!! LMAO
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone know about bathroom remodeling?

Post by Great White on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:19 am

Bernie, You can install a shower surround directly on top of the existing tile. All that needs to be done is you have to remove the handles and cover plate/s from the faucet. I recommend the use of a construction adhesive on the back side of the surround walls where it makes contact with the existing tile for best fit and longevity.

Great White
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 2514
Registration date : 2009-12-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverstang on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:22 am

Yes, its possible but before you install something over the existing tile you want to check for water damage or mold. If you have none of that you are ok.
Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FASFOX89 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:03 am

yep...probably some nice mold..check that for sure
FASFOX89
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henny Penny on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:42 am

Most definitly !!!check for mold n rot...cut out and replace where nessary then go ahead and cover with surround...even covered the mold will seek you out , and get you while you sleep...good luck...did that job last year as a 4 day thanksgiving weekend project
Henny Penny
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1319
Registration date : 2010-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm

The surround will work fine, BUT the damaged walls will need to be taken care of as well or it could lead to health related issues! Removing the tiles and damaged drywall and putting up at least the green board is a must. Then all you need to do is caulk the seams of the surround really well and you'll be good to go!

Karen and I have been doing a complete bathroom remodel this summer/fall and she had quite a bit of water damage behind the tiles. When we were removing them, we found out that the previous remodel had the tiles installed directly on plywood! There was so much mildew and rot that the tiles came off too easily in several spots!

We used this for everything other than behind the tile...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100321592/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=moisture+resistant+wall+board&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202938939#.UJ2sGvV2Kk8
You can use that with no problems.

We used this for directly behind the tiles...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100170507/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hardie+backerboard&storeId=10051#.UJ2sxfV2Kk8
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripken0808 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 pm

The hardie backer is the greatest thing ever. I used that in both of my bath remodels.
Ripken0808
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-07-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henny Penny on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 am

kooldawg6 wrote:The surround will work fine, BUT the damaged walls will need to be taken care of as well or it could lead to health related issues! Removing the tiles and damaged drywall and putting up at least the green board is a must. Then all you need to do is caulk the seams of the surround really well and you'll be good to go!

Karen and I have been doing a complete bathroom remodel this summer/fall and she had quite a bit of water damage behind the tiles. When we were removing them, we found out that the previous remodel had the tiles installed directly on plywood! There was so much mildew and rot that the tiles came off too easily in several spots!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100321592/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=moisture+resistant+wall+board&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202938939#.UJ2sGvV2Kk8

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100170507/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hardie+backerboard&storeId=10051#.UJ2sxfV2Kk8
There ya go
Henny Penny
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1319
Registration date : 2010-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big-B on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm

kooldawg6 wrote:The surround will work fine, BUT the damaged walls will need to be taken care of as well or it could lead to health related issues! Removing the tiles and damaged drywall and putting up at least the green board is a must. Then all you need to do is caulk the seams of the surround really well and you'll be good to go!

Thanks for the info everyone

John, do you have any pics of your project?

92 LX NOTCH = SOLD
2008 M109R   SLAMMED! IS IT SPRING YET?

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
ROTM 07/08--ROTY 2008

1FUN5.0 wrote: hahaha...if you're not first you're last!!! LMAO
Big-B
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 6053
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by svtwin73 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I wouldn't put a tub surround over tile. If the wall is rotted out, the tile will eventually start to come off, behind your new surround.

take it down and make sure you check the horizontal supports under the tub lip (back and both sides) and the tub slopes back about an 1/8". Fix the structure and close it up with green board if you are adding a surround, just clean the back of the surround before putting any adhesive on it.

I've always used Concrete backer board over green board for tile, just use the right screws so they don't corrode. You can put a water proofing membrane over that, like a "Kerdi " product, it's not the cheap route though and just tile over that. You can get a box of tiles from a ReStore for next to nothing.
svtwin73
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kooldawg6 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Big-B wrote:John, do you have any pics of your project?

I thought I had posted a link to the album on Suze's FB page. Did that not work?
kooldawg6
Super Charger
Super Charger

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2007-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top