2006 ford freestyle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2006 ford freestyle

Post by RTW0223 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 pm

hey guys I need some help with my moms vehicle right now. It is a 2006 ford freestyle with approximately 70,000 miles. And something has gone wrong with the transmission. I am not exactly sure as to what is wrong but I will tell you this that my parents took it to a local trusted mechanic and he couldn't figure out so he sent it back to where we bought it at plaza ford and a week later they finally got back to us. Since the freestyle was only made for two to three years the transmission is such a unique ford part, according to the plaza ford person. He thinks he found the error which would be a 1600 fix but worse case scenario a new trans is needed at $6000. so my question is since this car is only 6 years old with a decent amount of miles on it is there someone higher up in the Ford chain that we can call and possibly complain and tell them the situation? My mom only drives to and from school everyday because she's a teacher with easy driving. Thanks
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: 2006 ford freestyle

Post by Silverstang on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm

in this case i am not sure going up the Ford chain will help. You have a few things working against you. The car is 6 years old with 70K miles and probably out of warranty. But it worth a try.

Silverstang
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2008-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LXStangFiveOh on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Yea ya definitely won't get anywhere with Ford since it's out of warranty unless you have an extended warranty on it. Was the transmission fluid flushed at the time the maintenance manual indicates?
LXStangFiveOh
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2011-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:38 pm

The trans that is in the make and model is known as a CVT. very rare trans, according to the plaza ford service guy that i talked to. My mom says that when she drives and lets off the accelerator, the car continues to accelerate. Plaza ford pulled the codes and they are all trans related. Altough, this doesnt sound exactly trans related, but i am not familiar with new-ish trans'. What the guy is going to do is hook up a megatronics unit to the car and drive it to find pressure variances within the trans. I am expecting a phone call monday -- my parents are very automotive illiterate.
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 am

CVT wasn't a hit like it has been in Dodge and Nissan, from what you said it seems like a motor related concern but the mechanic will be able to give better findings. I am interested in what they find out and if it can be fixed with out costing an arm and a leg.

Back to top Go down

Post by FASFOX89 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am

taking foot off of gas and still accellerating...not good!!!! hope they get it figured out...Is the tranny slipping or anything else?
FASFOX89
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LXStangFiveOh on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Well that sounds like maybe the throttle blade is sticking, maybe take the TB out and clean the carbon build-up in it. Is it an electronic (drive-by-wire) or cable throttle? Could be an electronic problem if it's an electronic throttle. Maybe the sensor on the throttle pedal.

I'm no mechanic though, just my first few thoughts.
LXStangFiveOh
MACH 1
MACH 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:29 am

Ya know it is the simple stuff that can get us all wrapped around the axel. keeping stuff clean and functional is a good thing in my small book.

Last edited by 6-71 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Got a call today.

While driving with the unit connected to the ecu, they could not get the car to act up... he said it was behaving normally

but 3 codes are still being thrown:
P0701 -- trans control
P0871 -- fluid pressure sensor
P0961 -- pressure control solenoid

basically the guy at the Ford dealer suggested either buying a new transmission or selling the car while the car works properly, based on the fact that they cannot find a problem with it, even though the three trans codes are being thrown. But here is my thing... if the codes are being thrown shouldnt they be able to properly diagnose this??? shouldnt they be able to pinpoint the problem?

RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm

It is software and it ain't always so easy to nail down. Although the dealer has a point with the opportunity of getting a newer vehicle while you can. I hate to say give you problems to someone else but maybe that is a wise idea if they can afford it.

Bummer on the news and I hope your folks can come to a decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henny Penny on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:27 am

Honey Bunny had An Omni.....(yeah sounds like a leadin to a joke....NO so hush ) anyway that thing would do the same thing and i would have to put both feet on the brake to get it to back off.....this was 20 years ago put i'm thinking that it was an electrical issue..pick-up coil? I'm not sure but we kept it till her ex had it paid off.
Henny Penny
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1319
Registration date : 2010-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 am

I'm a GT now! woohoo.
<-----

Back to top Go down

Post by RTW0223 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm

so... the cvt trans was discontinued so we cannot actually replace it.

AND, the dealership offered us $4800 as a trade in value... less than what insurance gave me last summer for MY fox...
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Back to top Go down

Post by LXStangFiveOh on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Have you checked for a used trans or a Jasper unit? Even though Jasper has junk, it might be better than nothing.
LXStangFiveOh
MACH 1
MACH 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TT_05_Stang on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:22 pm

RTW0223 wrote:so... the cvt trans was discontinued so we cannot actually replace it.

AND, the dealership offered us $4800 as a trade in value... less than what insurance gave me last summer for MY fox...

Accidentally drop your Molotov cocktail inside

Tuner: Frank Soldridge PSI Motorsports Inc.
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 pm

^^^^^Once again classic^^^^^

Back to top Go down

Post by etc1006 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:07 am

"Fire! Fire!" he, he, he...
etc1006
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BK on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Just wanted to mention that I have the same vehicle and had similar codes. The codes are kind of a red herring since the throttle body caused the issue in the first place (unintended accelleration causing overload on the transmission in reverse in my case). Once that issue happens what it indicates is the trottle body sensor is dirty or failing. The advice to clean the throttle body is correct, but also replace the air filter and clean the air intake hose between the throttle body and air filter box. This is the biggest issue with drive-by -wire cars -- unintended accelleration and accidents caused by dirty sensors which confuse the throttle which is not physically connected to the gas pedal in the car. It's funny but if you check under the pedal you can see a button as well, which can get broken which is the pretend accelleration button (whatever they call it). Basically, if you floor it the engine will rev but the transmission willnot carry the full torque from the engine since that would cause the same issue as you saw on your vehicle. I'm starting to think that all modern vehicles are crap now with the drive-by-wire and transmission-by-wire nonsense (which they always say is floor mats when you crash). I especially hate the hesitation that is inherent in all these computer controlled cars (hard to find a car that doesn't have these stupid things on them now).

BK

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm

excel by wire has it's growing pains. Hopefully these anomalies have been flushed out and this will no longer be a problem in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top