idling issue and new tach

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 pm

well here is a video of me trying to drive from a friends house to my boat...



as you can see it is having idling return issues. no that was not me myself stalling lol, had to pop the clutch cause car was coming! I tried installing a new IAC but same issue occurs so put original one on. Also, there is a loud whistle/screach coming from the engine bay, sounds like coming from intake. Mike and I were pretty thorough with vacuums while doing the rebuild so idk. Any ideas??

and i tried installing that new tach, however its not working. red wire to ignition wire. black to ground. white to lights. green to ignition coil. It lights up but does not read RPMs.

and also this can serve as a quick in-car sound clip Smile
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

sounds like a vac leak. Hmmm I have a fog machine that can be used to find one
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

ok when can you come over lol
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm

this weekend. Probly saturday
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 am

im free after 3 saturday
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 am

K
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by CrazyHorse on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Check all wires and sensors for wire exposure (bare wires) or the touching of bare wires. Could be shorting out causing computer to get misread and shut down the motor. This happened to me on I-81 with my 95 gt. I discovered two wires going to senor plug were bare and touching. Had to do roadside rigging and electrical taped wires seperatley. Started right up. Immediately repaired the wires once I arrived home. No problem since. Hope this helps ya out
avatar
CrazyHorse
GT
GT

Number of posts : 80
Age : 39
Location : Frederick,Md
Registration date : 2010-12-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by DRRummel on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:41 pm

RTW0223 wrote: Also, there is a loud whistle/screach coming from the engine bay, sounds like coming from intake. Mike and I were pretty thorough with vacuums while doing the rebuild so idk. Any ideas??
Funny how a vacuum leak can sound like a screech. When I replaced my first 5.0L I thought a had a bad bearing or something. For me it was a vacuum line under the driver side of the upper plenum. It became disconnected during installation of the upper. It is hard to see under there. It might be useful to use a mirror. Heres a Picture
avatar
DRRummel
GT
GT

Number of posts : 138
Age : 51
Location : Perry Hall, Md.
Registration date : 2008-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by TT_05_Stang on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm

What TB do you have?


_________________
Black 05 Stang
Current Mods: ProLine Shortblock, TurboHorsepower Twin Turbo
Numbers: 15psi, 17* timing, 722rwhp 649 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno... when it's running...
Tuner: Frank Soldridge PSI Motorsports Inc.
avatar
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Age : 41
Location : Arnold, MD
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm

bbk edelbrock 70 mm TB

and i went out to spencers today and bought a fog machine so taht i can test for the vacuum leaks!

also..got my tach to work. the red wire was not gettting any voltage.
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by TT_05_Stang on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Known issue that bbk tb whistle bad...and their tps sensor gives bad readings. I used to have one...

_________________
Black 05 Stang
Current Mods: ProLine Shortblock, TurboHorsepower Twin Turbo
Numbers: 15psi, 17* timing, 722rwhp 649 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno... when it's running...
Tuner: Frank Soldridge PSI Motorsports Inc.
avatar
TT_05_Stang
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5329
Age : 41
Location : Arnold, MD
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RJones8 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm

i cant wait to put my tach in and i forgot to text you but he didnt have one anyways
avatar
RJones8
RUSTY MUSTANG
RUSTY MUSTANG

Number of posts : 37
Age : 25
Location : Bel Air
Registration date : 2011-06-16

View user profile http://RJones2192010@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 pm

tps is outputting .98 volts.

and its odd, because ive had this TB for about a year and never heard a whistle like this before.... ill be smoke testing the car tomorrow
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by mjr46 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 pm

RTW0223 wrote:tps is outputting .98 volts.

and its odd, because ive had this TB for about a year and never heard a whistle like this before.... ill be smoke testing the car tomorrow
different mass air, more camshaft, better flowing heads = more air intake / velocity into the air intake tract, sharp edges and or rough castings in the intake tract can also cause such as air flows over and or around such, when I had a bbk edelbrock on mine with the ported cobra intake, it was twice as loud as yours Ryan, I switched to an Acufab and rpm 2 intake and no more whistle Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 644
Age : 42
Location : Maryland
Registration date : 2008-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Also, Idk if this has anything to do with the way the 5.0 idles but when the IAC is disconected it was no effect on idle, Reconect same thing. I adjust the throttle stop to get it to idle slightly better. When first starting the motor will rev and shut down. Start again same thing. If you give it a lill throttle it will do one of two things. Idle hunt. From 500 to about 1200 rpm or stay at about 800 rpm and act like its missfiring. IE rough idle. Every now and then itll somewhat smooth out but go back to rough idle.
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 pm

chrisverneuil wrote:Also, Idk if this has anything to do with the way the 5.0 idles but when the IAC is disconected it was no effect on idle, Reconect same thing. I adjust the throttle stop to get it to idle slightly better. When first starting the motor will rev and shut down. Start again same thing. If you give it a lill throttle it will do one of two things. Idle hunt. From 500 to about 1200 rpm or stay at about 800 rpm and act like its missfiring. IE rough idle. Every now and then itll somewhat smooth out but go back to rough idle.

this.

mjr46 wrote:
RTW0223 wrote:tps is outputting .98 volts.

and its odd, because ive had this TB for about a year and never heard a whistle like this before.... ill be smoke testing the car tomorrow
different mass air, more camshaft, better flowing heads = more air intake / velocity into the air intake tract, sharp edges and or rough castings in the intake tract can also cause such as air flows over and or around such, when I had a bbk edelbrock on mine with the ported cobra intake, it was twice as loud as yours Ryan, I switched to an Acufab and rpm 2 intake and no more whistle Smile

this whistle that i am talking about was not prevalent at your shop. just started approx 2 days ago
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by mjr46 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm

then look for a vaccum leak, make sure when you installed the new BAP back by the vaccum tree that you didn't knock loose a line and or disturb the pcv system, Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 644
Age : 42
Location : Maryland
Registration date : 2008-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 am

I looked at the vac tree, No lines where knocked loose. But did notice that the A/C line was still being used. Im trying to think of anything that could be causing this. With out a Diag computer im not sure what else other than smoke testing that it could be.
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by mjr46 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 am

chrisverneuil wrote:I looked at the vac tree, No lines where knocked loose. But did notice that the A/C line was still being used. Im trying to think of anything that could be causing this. With out a Diag computer im not sure what else other than smoke testing that it could be.
if vac test reveals nothing, run a koeo/koer test, there are a few things I can think of outside of vac leaks that'll create idle surge apart form ignition system issues.

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 644
Age : 42
Location : Maryland
Registration date : 2008-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 pm

alright fog machine showed nothing, but also because the fog machine kept overheating and turning off...

Koeo results:
82
85
84

koer results:
13
94
44
33

cylinder balance
90

13 - RPM Not Within Self Test Upper Limit (R), Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly -generally idle too high

82 - Secondary Air Bypass Circuit Failure (O)
84 - EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) Control Circuit Failure (O)
85 - CANP Circuit Failure (O)
94 - Secondary Air Injection Inoperative. bank two, driver side (R), Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Failure (O)

33 - EGR Valve Opening Not Detected (CM,R)

44 - Secondary Air System Inoperative. bank one, passenger side (R)
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Egr valve stuff is probly from me disconnecting the two selnoids down behind shock tower. Canp is from removing the canister selnoid that was leaky. I set idle higher to prevent from the idle surgery and first start up. Ill try to get my foger to work. It puts out a good bit of smoke and probly wont over heat.
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by etc1006 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:52 am

I'll grab my code book for all these and check back on this one... Some of the definetions you listed aren't for the older EECIV codes. I do know the RPM one was from not doing the throttle "goose" properly when promted. Also it is "slightly" possible the TPS voltage is a tad high. I know everybody says get as close to 1 Volt (even with the SVO's) as possible. But sometimes the computer doesn't like it. Because sometimes once snugged down it does actually mved it up. Especially with the changes you've done. Also have you done a sweep test with the TPS with a regular analog meter? It will show if there is any dead spots in it. Maybe I'll come too. Chris, you go right by me on the way to Bel Air, maybe you could swing by and pick me up. I need to get out and do stuff, and meet more of you guys.
avatar
etc1006
MACH 1
MACH 1

Number of posts : 186
Age : 46
Location : Elkridge, MD
Registration date : 2011-05-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by chrisverneuil on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 pm

etc1006 wrote:I'll grab my code book for all these and check back on this one... Some of the definetions you listed aren't for the older EECIV codes. I do know the RPM one was from not doing the throttle "goose" properly when promted. Also it is "slightly" possible the TPS voltage is a tad high. I know everybody says get as close to 1 Volt (even with the SVO's) as possible. But sometimes the computer doesn't like it. Because sometimes once snugged down it does actually mved it up. Especially with the changes you've done. Also have you done a sweep test with the TPS with a regular analog meter? It will show if there is any dead spots in it. Maybe I'll come too. Chris, you go right by me on the way to Bel Air, maybe you could swing by and pick me up. I need to get out and do stuff, and meet more of you guys.

Sounds good to me. Im planning on heading up tommorow and doin some more troubleshooting
avatar
chrisverneuil
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1610
Age : 28
Location : Laurel, Maryland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by RTW0223 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:34 pm

yup ill be good after 3 tomorrw. all help asppreciated:)

and update:

i turned the IAC upside down, so the connector is on top, and now it wont die. the idle still is not as good as when we were at MIKE's shop. still horrible hesitation...
avatar
RTW0223
SUPER SNAKE
SUPER SNAKE

Number of posts : 1846
Age : 26
Location : Hagerstwon, MD
Registration date : 2008-10-19

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryan.wuerfl

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by mjr46 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:50 pm

RTW0223 wrote:yup ill be good after 3 tomorrw. all help asppreciated:)

and update:

i turned the IAC upside down, so the connector is on top, and now it wont die. the idle still is not as good as when we were at MIKE's shop. still horrible hesitation...
DO THE base idle reset I sent you, and get your CAI set up for that maf with cold air calibration. and don't mess with any other settings..ie timing, any sensors ect ect...let me know how it goes Ryan Smile

mjr46
BOSS
BOSS

Number of posts : 644
Age : 42
Location : Maryland
Registration date : 2008-02-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: idling issue and new tach

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum